Table of Content
Chapter 1 Austrian Infantry
Chapter 1.1 Austrian Fusiliers
Chapter 1.2 Austrian Grenadiers
Chapter 1.3 Austrian Landwehr
Chapter 1.4 Austrian Grenzer
Chapter 1.5 Hungarian Insurrection
Chapter 1.6 Austrian German Legion
Chapter 2 Austrian Artillery
Chapter 2.1 Austrian Engineering
Chapter 3 Austrian Cavalry
Chapter 3.1 Austrian Cuirassiers
Chapter 3.2 Austrian Dragoons
Chapter 3.3 Austrian Chevauxleger
Chapter 3.4 Austrian Lancers (Ulans)
Chapter 3.5 Austrian Hussars
Chapter 4 The Grande Armée
Chapter 5 Appendix
Chapter 5.1 Creating 3d models for printing
Chapter 5.2 Shapeways Shop
Chapter 5.3 Creation of custom decals
Chapter 5.4 Generating renders
Chapter 5.5 Generating drawings
When I was a young boy I got interested in the uniforms of the Napoleonic war. Once at Christmas time I received the books of Funken which gave a broad overview in an acceptable price range. Later on I purchased a small booklet showing all units of the Prussian army to times of Frederik the Great. Maybe that was the beginning of a first thought to create such a book also of the Austrians during the Napoleonic era.
30 years later, I found the way back to this hobby as a teenager by designing custom elements for LEGO® Minifgs in 3d, which could later be printed with the new 3D printing technology. To get an accurate idea of how these models can look on a Minifig, I tried using the povray render engine to create images that represent the uniforms of that time.
As a matter of fact this was the starting point for this book.
Due to the representation of the units with LEGO® figures, the images are only almost historically accurate. This is on the one hand to preserve the look of Lego @ Minifigs, on the other hand, because the rendering machine is subject to certain restrictions. The text passages are mostly derived from Wikipaedia and bring the plates into a suitable historical context..
The creation of this book resulted in tons of additional work such as recreating all the required decals with a certain historical accuracy, creating new elements since my existing were not typical enough ...